scroll

Thursday, April 1, 2010

Getting Ready

Last Friday Chris and I interviewed a pediatrician. It was fun. It was weird. The office is easy to get to, the staff were friendly, and the doc we spoke with was great. She gave us great info about the practice and answered all of our questions. We felt really comfortable with her and will use her group when the time comes. After our early morning appointment we grabbed breakfast at iHop and then headed to Target for some baby shopping. Talk about a surreal experience! We're walking along with our cart, picking out a few necessities: onsies, towels, wash cloths, blankets, jammies and a few bottles. It was the strangest experience. Anytime I've ever purchased baby items, it was always for someone's shower. I couldn't believe I was actually discussing bottle choices with my husband, for our baby! It was almost an out of body experience to launder, dry, and put away such tiny, precious clothes. I just smiled and chuckled to myself as I folded the items. 

It's hard to believe that we're actually going to be parents in the near future. Our social worker emailed the other day and asked us to give her a call. She wanted to confirm some info and to let us know that the agency has had a lot of activity. She said that several women are "close". We took that as they are either close to seeing profiles and/or close to delivery. We didn't clarify. I think we were still on edge that our SW wanted to talk to us. We got all excited and hoped this would be the call :) Fingers crossed we'll hear something in the next few weeks. And because the whole adoption thing is really getting real, I ordered and received a play yard, stroller, and car seat. The boxes are sitting in the living room. I just can't believe this is all happening. If I'm feeling this way over a stroller, what's going to happen when we actually have the baby? How long did it take you to feel like you were a mom?

2 comments:

Wendy said...

Thanks for your comment on my blog! That's great that you are officially waiting and getting ready. It's such an exciting time!

I think I felt like a mom while we were waiting, but it was definitely a bit surreal, too! Getting Zoe's room ready and buying baby things helped. As soon as Zoe was in our arms, we felt like parents. We were so happy - it's the best feeling. I hope that your wait is very very short!

(I noticed you live in/around Philadelphia. We lived in Wallingford before we moved out here - not too far from Philly!)

joyce said...

Hi Wendy! I've been following your blog since last Sept when we decided to adopt. It's been great following you and other adoptive moms as you've gone through your journey.

We've also chosen the name Zoe if we have a daughter :)